Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Stumped ...

It seemed like great things were happening, but then I got stumped. I was trying to replicate Test Case 002 in Reniers et al. 2004 but for some reason the JONSWAP spectrum that I create with a DSPR of 12.2 deg. and Hs = 1.41m (he uses Hrms = 1m) does not have exactly the same configuration and the peak in energy density is around 4 m^2/Hz/deg rather than 8. While all my results are qualitatively similar to his (I've plotted many transects of u, v, q, and low-passed quantities) the alongshore length scales are much shorter than the O(200m) features he found (see figures/movies in previous posts). He seems to mention that these preferred length scales are not dominant in the wave group forcing (par. [44]), although seems to indicate otherwise when discussing Figure 12. I realize that these length scales should be associated with the amount of directional spreading in the incident spectrum and while I've tried many cases with varying degrees of direction spread, I see little difference. Time to take a step back and remember the ultimate goal:

Main Goal: Find a way to address the central issue associated with his hypothesis -- can circulation patterns generated by a random wave group field (O(<100s))>10cm/s) for sufficient time (O(1000s)) in order to create a bathymetric perturbation?

So far I've been unable to truly address this. Hopefully I can before Sept. 1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home